CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Shake it like a Polaroid picture.


Yesterday, I visited BODIES...The Exhibition in Mobile. It showcases real, Asian human cadavers. The bodies were positioned in disturbing positions, such as playing soccer, lunging, or riding a bike. They preserve the specimens using polymer preservation, or plastication.

I kept repeating in my head, "These are real people," "These are real people." I tried to imagine specific scenarios that emphasized their existence (ie: getting ready for work, kissing, or boogie dancing). But I couldn't.

My favorite part was the showcase of fetuses. And the gift shop merchandise which sold souvenirs like ear-shaped page clippers and esophagus pens.

6 comments:

Ronnie said...

Aunt Beth and I went with Grandma and Gramps -- it was cool but at the same time freaky. The display where they cut the body into 8 cross-sections was particularly memorable. I am proud of you that you were able to go see it. The body really is a miracle.

Unknown said...

brave, brave soul. I wouldnt go with the parents and grandparents when they went, i was chicken.

Manda Panda said...

I'm totally creeped out by this exhibit. I have heard about it, but don't think I'll partake. I too, am a chicken.

Spencer & Kaitlin said...

OMGSH...girl I totally went to that last year when it came to the ATL in thesummer...it was soooooo coool and really neat I loved it...

Crystal said...

I specifically remember the testicles in this exhibit being interesting. Then again I was an immature 16 year old in an anatomy class. But seriously, those were some shrunken balls

dani said...

that is probably the grossest thing i've ever heard.